Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Closing Date, the Transfer of Ownership & Reversal

I faxed a letter to the Buckingham
agent and copied to EWCC's lawyers
asking for clarification on a clause
in the Agreement that appeared
contradictory and convoluted. The
Buckingham agent called the first
thing in the morning (and faxed) in
response to my letter.

After speaking briefly with the agent,
I read the clause again. You know when
you know something is out of sorts but
you can't quite put your finger on it?
I read the clause several more times and
then it hit me what it was that was
bothering me about the clause. I faxed
another letter to the agent and copied to
EWCC lawyers, requesting further clarification
of the clause. Hopefully I'll get a
response soon.


I read the book titled, Lawyers Gone Bad:
Money,Sex and Madness in Canada's Legal
Profession by Philip Slayton, after reading
Maclean's cover story titled, Lawyers Are
Rats, in its August 6th, 2007 issue. After
sending the second letter, the book and
article came to mind, "I hope that out of
90,000 lawyers in Canada, that I am not
unlucky enough to be dealing with rats!"


A couple interesting excerpts from the
Maclean article, Lawyers are Rats: A top
legal scholar and ex-Bay Street partner
exposes the corruption of his profession

" lawyers are taught to manipulate the
rules in favour of their clients. If
you're a manipulator of rules, then you
can't respect the rules as such or believe
that they incorporate important values."


"Arrogance is part of it. If you're taught
how to manipulate rules, you lose respect
for them, and that leads to a a kind of
arrogance; I'm bigger than the rules, I'm
not the average man on the street who needs
to be law-abiding because I know how to get
around the rules. And there may be just a
touch of the more common form of arrogance,
too, which is "I'm smarter than they
are, they'll never catch me."


Macleans interview with Philip Slayton

http://www.macleans.ca/article.jsp?content=20070727_161043_8468

Buy the book, Lawyers Gone Bad by Philip Slayton
at Amaazon.com or Chapters.indigo.ca

No comments: