Monday, September 1, 2008

I've Moved.

I'm in my new home. In the end everything
worked out, thankfully. There were a couple
of incidents that occurred that could have
caused me some problems. One of which I'll
mention, the other I won't.

When I went to pick up the keys for my
new house the lawyer's assistant handed
me some papers with the keys. Earlier
that day, August 15th, the closing date,
I met with the lawyer and signed all the
papers, including for receipt of a cheque.
When the assistant handed me the papers I
immediately looked for the cheque. Guess
what? There was no cheque.

Thankfully,I checked before I left the
office and in front of the assistant, rather
than wait until I left the office. The
assistant said she forgot to cut the
cheque. I waited a few minutes while she
cut the cheque. When I received the cheque
I left. It was a relief to get the cheque
because if not, it would have created
another headache that I'd have to deal with.

After you've left your lawyer's office, how
do you prove that you did not receive a
cheque that you signed for? I've asked myself
this question a number of times. Had I not
discovered the cheque missing until I got
home, my first thought would have been it
wasn't included with the documents and keys
given to me by the assistant. But on
further thought, the cheque could have fell
somewhere. I simply lost the cheque.

I think that if I discovered that the
cheque was missing after I left my lawyer's
office, I would just assume the cheque
fell sometime after I left my lawyer's office.
So I would just contact my lawyer and tell him
that I lost the cheque and ask if he would put
a stop payment on the lost cheque and cut
me another cheque.

No comments: