Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Tire Slasher - Health and Safety Issue

I bought an electric bike last year. I
never took it to work until Wednesday
April 29th, 2009. We had a two day
week that week (short work week). Wednesday,
Thursday and Friday, engine assembly
department was off. The two highest
seniority employees in my section had
to come in on Wednesday for clean-up
in their area. So I was in along with
a co-worker on the Wednesday.

The start of my shift was 3:30 p.m. But
I arrived a little earlier than usual
that day. I parked my e-bike in the bike
section of the parking lot adjacent
to the catwalk. I put my helmet in a
bag I was carrying. The day shift was
still on the line. I don't think too
many people knew about the bike and I
didn't mention it.

Fast forward to the following week.
I decide to take my e-bike to work
on Thursday, May 08, 2009. Both
shifts, days and afternoons were
running. A lot ofemployees saw me ride
in on the e-bike. Many asked questions
about the bike too. Oh by the way, I don't
drive, never have.

It's another short work week.
Engine Assembly department is not
running on Friday May 09, 2009. The two
highest seniority employees in my section,
on my shift in my secton have to come
in. So I come in on the Friday. That
night I pushed my e-bike home. Some
nutbar slash the rear tire on my e-bike.
There were two motorcycles,
parked in bike parking area. The tires
were just fine. It didn't take long did it?

I have no idea who did it or what set
the person off. I could unknowingly
set the person off again, so I thought
just in case Psychobob loses control
again, I reported the incident to the
police. The file number is 09-27090

I reported the incident to the company
and the union after reporting the incident
to the police first.

Now we know the conduct of the unknown
Psychobob is criminal. But
I would think that any act that
has the potential to harm an employee
in the workplace is a health and safety
issue as well and employees should be
made aware of the incident so that they
can take precautions.

No comments: